A Sewing Experiment

When I first got my sewing machine, a couple of years ago now, I googled sewing projects and came up with a dozen or so I wanted to try.  Including this little one:

penguins-1-425

I started it at the time, but found that I didn’t know my sewing machine well enough, or have enough control over it, to do it.  So the project got put in a bag and put in a box and forgotten about.

A few weeks ago I sorted those boxes out and decided to finish the penguin.  I put the bag on top of a pile of sewing to do.

Today I had “sewing machine day” scheduled in my diary.  So I sat downstairs and got on with stuff.

I trimmed and hemmed some curtains for my mum – they have a wobbly hem because I can NOT cut a straight line.

I turned the trimmed edges into a tablecloth for her.

I reattached some applique on a skirt I made last year that had come lose.

I reseamed the very first skirt that I made because it is a very flimsy fabric and had worn through.

And then I started the penguin!

I got quite far.  I had already cut out the pieces way back when, so I just needed to put them together.  Please don’t look at the seams because they’re very messy.  And when I finished the body and turned it inside out, I found a hole that shouldn’t have existed.  I turned it back, sewed the hole, then turned it inside out again.  The hole was still there!  Because I’d sewn the same side that the hole was on, without accounting for the reversal.

The hole finally got sewn.  I turned my spotty purple-bellied penguin body the right way round and giggled at how silly he looks.

2014-02-14 17.07.21

Then I went to sew the wings together… and ran out of thread.

I was using black, and had no more decent black stuff.  So had to wait until the next day to get some.  But to be honest I was glad of the excuse to stop for the night.  Penguin is very fiddly!

But refreshed and restocked the next day I got back to work.  First sewing the feet together, then the wings.  Stuffing everything and patching up.  Don’t look too closely at those handsewn seams!  I may have made a small error in sewing the wings too… one ended up a wee bit smaller than it should have been.

2014-02-14 18.07.30

But once he was all sewn up he looked adorable.  And just like every other stuffed toy I’ve ever made.  Slightly wonky and squiffy looking, but cute nonetheless!

2014-02-14 18.29.26

Advertisements

About Colette Horsburgh

A 30-something creator/baker/writer/doodler/crafter living with several (but not enough) scatty animals.
This entry was posted in Craft. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s